Monday, November 18, 2013

The Lion's Den Reunion

I'd like to give a great big ol' shout out to the organizers of Saturday's Lions Den reunion, and also a sincere thank you to the Liberty County Sheriff's Deputies who did a splendid job of traffic control, keeping us safe crossing a busy highway. I've got to admit, I had second thoughts about attending after seeing the attendance estimates, thinking parking would be a nightmare. The golf carts and volunteer drivers were also a blessing, considering that some of us have refused to get new knees...yet. And of course, thanks to anyone else who helped make it happen.

Most of all, however, I'd like to thank my Dad for coming up with the original idea. He may not have been the only one, but I'm pretty confident he was the first. He's been wearing out anyone within earshot about the idea for years. He originally wanted to have this at The Green House, but the size of the crowd (and traffic control) made this problematic. He is anxious to comment on the event, but I am currently holding his computer hostage, so I've got him treed at the moment. (Hint: y'all send me money, I can keep him bayed as long as you'd like.) Actually, I'm trying to get him set up with a new operating system that will make Blogger and email much easier for him, and tech support easier for me. He'll be back on line no later than this Friday. In the meantime, I'm at the helm until the Captian's had his nap. Or I hit a mudbar, whichever comes first.

All I know is that I had a great time, and it was good to see Elvis is still alive and well. The gnats weren't too bad, and I got to see some folks I haven't seen in ages. The highlight of the evening was getting to give a kiss on the cheek to, and talk a bit with, Mrs. Kozma. She looked great, and I'll bet could still draw a blister on my butt with that cut out Bolo paddle! Mrs. Kozma was much more than my kindergarten teacher though (in her house and at the old white HS building), she was my next door neighbor for the first 20 years of my life. Our families are life long friends to this day, and I'm very grateful for that.

To wrap up the evening, Debbie and I left the Dorchester Center at dark, and proceeded East with a group of the rest of us juvenile delinquents (you know, still 50 something) and landed at one of their homes. We proceeded to party like it was 1975 all over again. Or should I say, at least until midnight, when our collective "party barge" hit the mud bar and we all headed to quarters for the night. The only way I see a sunrise these days is if I go to bed at 9PM. Bloody Mary's were in order the following morning, and I had the best one I've ever had. Y'all all know the mixmaster too, but I'll never divulge who it was. To say it was a fellow Bradwell grad is close enough.

I will always love the Liberty County coast. I hope some things never change.




No comments:

Post a Comment