Friday, August 23, 2013

BRADWELL INSTITUTE LIONS REUNION

Sometime a few years ago several of our east enders joined forces and took on a wonderful community interest project. A group of our contemporaries from Bradwell Institute at Washington Avenue, decided to save the old Dorchester Consolidated School located on Islands Highway a couple of miles after you cross over I-95. Just past the entrance to Tradeport East around the bend on your left is the red brick structure of a classical school building of the time period of probably late or mid forties I really don't know. It very well might date back to the thirties or before. Come on somebody help me on this.                        

I know who some of the principals of that movement were but I will not name them right now because I know I'd likely fail to credit the correct people. I hope some of you will post on this site a more thorough list of who needs to be credited for both conceiving and implementing the efforts which resulted in the restoration of the only remaining structure of a traditional old school house in Liberty County.

Not exactly sure where this movement came from but I think it is an outgrowth of the planning for the fifty year reunion of the class of 1963.

It has been suggested that all Bradwell Graduates be invited.

The actual plan is I think still in the developmental stage. Although I think it is in the fine tuning stage.

I hope so. and I will post any updates from now until November.


I am happy to announce that on November 16th there will be a mega reunion of Bradwell graduates at Dorchester which is just about perhaps two miles beyond the Interstate on the left.  I know that currently plans are still being developed. I will post updates on this site as I receive them. I invite those who are planning and participate on this event to please log onto this site and let your thoughts be known.

I personally like to think of this a a reunion of attendees of Bradwell Institute at Washington Avenue. I have always felt a special attachment to the campus where I was so fortunate to have been schooled by a wonderful staff from the top down.

More later please offer your thoughts.
Jimmy

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Jimmy. The OLD LIONS REUNION is for everyone who ATTENDED or taught at Bradwell Institute prior to the campus move from Washington Avenue in 1972. As you stated, it is scheduled for Saturday, November 16th, 2:00 - 8:00 pm. Updates and details can be found on Facebook "Old Lions Reunion" and the web site www.OldLionsReunion.com. Registration and donations are requested and are available online. Volunteers are needed for planning and implementation - next planning committee meeting is September 12, 10:00 am, Dorchester Village Civic Center (Old Dorchester Consolidated School circa 1938) on Islands Highway. Please attend if you are willing to help. Questions Derek Duke, Julie Martin, Glenda Welborn, Linda Cook or Mary Beth Whitfield (912-977-3791) - message any member on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete