Sunday, December 3, 2017

Good ole boys

From my earliest recollection until my early teen years fireworks were sold in Georgia. I'm not sure when they were outlawed but I recall it happening. As long as they were legal my sister June and I played with them often but especially around July fourth and New Year's. I remember them being sold in McLarry's at "the curve" in Flemington. After they were outlawed in Ga. huge Fireworks stores sprang up just across the Savannah river in South Carolina. Consequently we have always had fireworks. Our older brother Homer and our Daddy taught us to have a healthy respect for potential danger is we failed to be careful with them. I don't remember us ever making any bad decisions with them.

We played with the lower powered firecrackers, sparklers, roman candles and occasionally the larger  more powerful red firecrackers. There was also something called a whistler or chaser but we never dealt with those.  In later years the was the "Cherry Bombs" which were about the size of a quarter and round with a large fuse about an inch and a half long. We never had any mishaps around our home but we always heard reports of people being burned or injured or accidental fires of structures or yards and woods.

I am not exactly sure what year the following story took place but I imagine it was around 1960 give or take a couple of years either way. At the time Hinesville was still a very small community where everybody knew everyone and there was very little crime.  R.V. Bobby Sikes was sheriff so I know it was after he had succeeded his father  Sheriff Paul Sikes who had died in 1959 I believe. I believe the Sheriff's department then consisted of Sheriff Sikes and Deputies David Carter, DeWitt Branch, Myles Groover and Adrian Long. Perhaps there were more but I don't recall.

The Hinesville Police department was even smaller. There was Mr Dave Mobley who served as Chief and his son Royce worked in the office as radio operator etc. Mr Vivian Hodges was the first patrolman I think. Later Jimmy Downs became a Patrolman. There were only two traffic lights and they were both located on Main St. One was on the north side of the Court St between the Courthouse and the Texaco station across from the Miller house' The other light was on the intersection of South St (Now MLK St) and Main. The Saunders company was across the street from the Courthouse and a street separated it from the McCall house Miller house. Going north on Main just past the Miller house was a vacant lot on the corner of Memorial Drive and Main. Across Memorial was the Methodist Church. Facing Memorial drive on the east side of Main was the police station. The police station was a simple small frame structure barley eight by eight. There was a doorway in the center of the front facing Memorial and a window on each side as well as in front. Hinesville was a sleepy little place with very little action after supper time. We always had at least one pool Hall and one or two cafes.

It was not uncommon as the night grew later to see the policeman seated in the station just about asleep. Well that is exactly what happened one night as three rascals were out cruising the streets.  All three of these fellows have been lifelong friends and I too consider them to be lifelong friends. I hope none of them will take offence at my little story.

This story took place sometime around 1967 give or take a little while. I am retelling a tale that I've heard several times from two of the culprits and I may not get it exactly right but I'll tell it as I recall it.

No comments:

Post a Comment